Tuesday, April 10, 2012

7,006,102,713 Faces and An Infinite Number of Prayers

7,006,102,713...the population of the world on April 10, 2012.


703,021...the population of Sevilla, Spain (my current location) as of 2011.


83,393...the population of Asheville, North Carolina (my hometown) according to the 2010 census. 


As I was walking through the streets of Sevilla today, here's what I realized, God personally knows every single one of us. Every one. He knows the little old lady I saw sitting by the river in her wheelchair, the smiling momma on the street who's chasing after her giggly little boy, the wife and husband holding hands walking across the bridge, and even the little unborn baby that's still developing in its momma's pink t-shirt covered belly. And not only does He know all these peoples' names, He knows their past, their future, and the absolute deepest desires of their hearts. 


I would dare say that at some point in their lives, quite a few people have read or heard the following verse, Luke 12:7:
           
           "But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more 
            value than many sparrows."


Personally, I know that I've read this verse a number of times because it continuously amazes me that He loves me and values me. However, the magnitude of this verse has never really struck me. Not only does God know everything about me, but, like I said, He knows everything about everyone.  


  "[...]for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him."--Matthew 6:8

 "God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for Him and find Him,
   though He is not far from any one of us."--Acts 17:27


What's more is not only does He hear my prayers, He listens to them. He knows all of my desires and my needs without me even asking. Not only is this true for me, but all of His children. And even though He already knows all of this He still wants us to ask. It astounds me. Ask anyone who knows me, I get lost and lose focus listening to one person, and with two, pshhh, forget it. Then I think about how many languages people are praying these prayers in. I struggle to speak English, let alone Spanish. But He knows and understands every single word no matter what language it's uttered in. I cannot even begin to imagine how that He doesn't get a migraine from listening to everyone all the time. But He doesn't. In fact, He loves listening and spending time with His children. And He wants us to do the same. He wants all 7,006,102,713 to know Him and love Him like He loves us. Talk about a big family. 


This may not be a new concept to many people, but really placing value on it and thinking about its truth probably is. Next time you're walking down the street, notice the people around you. Look at their faces and recognize them as individuals, each with a story and each with different needs, and He knows all of them. It becomes a little overwhelming when you begin to realize how many people you come in contact with within just a few minutes not to mention imagining how many people are breathing and living all over the world. Yet, despite that He knows every one of the 7,006,102,713 faces and listens to an infinite number of prayers, He wants to know you and listen to you and love you, regardless of who you are and what you've done. He already knows all about it and His mind hasn't changed nor will it ever. Now that's something wonderful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment